Financial Aid Basics
Financial Aid can be received based off of merit or financial need. Below you find information about private scholarships, institutional scholarships, federal aid, and state aid. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me!
Privately funded scholarships are one type of financial aid for which students can apply. The funding may be national, such as Coca Cola or Gates Foundation or local, such as Rotary or Junior Auxiliary.
Click the link below for specific scholarship information. Local Scholarships updated as received.
Some other good resources for private scholarships may be available at your local insurance companies, parents place of work, community organizations (e.g. Scouts). Below you will find some links to websites and search engines that may prove to be useful in your search for additional private scholarships.
Scholarships are free money for college! The only way to receive a scholarship is to apply for it, so I have made the process so easy. On my Canvas page I have a scholarship list that is updated and has all of the links. I have that list below as well. These will be updated often, so check back!
Popular Online Scholarship Websites (National)
- Scholarship websites handout.pdf Download Scholarship websites handout.pdf
- Scholarships 360-Multiple Deadlines
- FastWeb Scholarships
- Unigo Scholarships
- Scholarships.com (database that matches you with scholarships based on your profile)
- Scholars App
- Do Something Scholarships
- Nitro Scholarship (Monthly Scholarship)
- Niche Scholarship Website
- UNCF (United Negro College Fund)- Multiple deadlines majority for HBCU students
- Social Cause Student Scholarship- Monthly Scholarships
- Army ROTC Scholarship-Multiple Deadlines
- Opp U Achieve Scholarship- Multiple Deadlines
Current Scholarships (More Local)
- Northeast Tuition Guarantee
- Quest Bridge- National College Match for Full Tuition- Deadline September 28, 2021
- Cirkled In- No Sweat Scholarship- 9th-12th- Deadline September 30, 2021
- Christian Leaders of the Future Scholarship- Deadline October 15, 2021
- VFW-Voice of Democracy Scholarship- Deadline October 30, 2021 (9-12 graders)
- Heisman High School Scholarship-Deadline October 19, 2021
- Coca-Cola Scholars Program- Deadline October 31, 2021
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship- Deadline November 18, 2021
- Prudential Spirit of Community Awards- Deadline November 10, 2021 (9-12 graders)
- Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards- Deadline November 14, 2021
- Elks Most Valuable Student Scholarship- Deadline November 15, 2021
- Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency Scholarship Program- Deadline November 12, 2021
- Hagan Needs-Based Scholarship- Deadline December 1, 2021
- WTVA Senior Scholarship- Deadline December 14, 2021
- Equitable Excellence℠ Scholarship Program- Deadline December , 2021
- Burger King- James McLamore Foundation Scholarship- Deadline December 15, 2021
- Cirkled In- No Sweat Scholarship- 9th-12th- Deadline December 31, 2021
- Automotive Women’s Alliance Foundation (AWAF)- Multiple Deadlines
- SACAC Horizon Award- Opens December 2, 2021- Deadline January 21, 2022
- MSBA- Mississippi School Boards Association Essay/Speaking Scholarship- Deadline January 15, 2022
- Taco Bell- Live Mas Scholarship- Deadline January 20, 2022
- The American Legion High School Oratorical Scholarship Program- Deadline January 24, 2022
- Technology Addiction Awareness Scholarship- 9th-12th-Deadline January 30, 2022
- Daughters of the American Revolution Scholarships- Multiple scholarships- Deadline January 31, 2022
- Walmart Associate Scholarship- Deadline January 31, 2022
- Mississippi County Employee Scholarship- Deadline February 1, 2022
- Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship- Deadline February 1, 2022
- Bulk Office Supply Scholarship- Deadline February 1, 2022
- McDonald’s HACER National Scholarship - Deadline February 3, 2022
- Elvis Presley Fan Club Scholarship- Deadline February 14th, 2022
- HSF (Hispanic Scholarship Fund)- Deadline February 14, 2022
- AFA Teens for Alzheimer’s Awareness College Scholarship Essay Contest- Deadline February 15, 2022
- Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship-Deadline February 18, 2022
- The Mississippi Academy of Family Physicians Foundation 2021 David G. Hall, M.D. Memorial Scholarship- Deadline February, 2022
- Nissan Scholarship- Deadline March 1, 2022
- Blue Mountain College Heritage Scholarship- ACT 27 and above- Deadline March 1, 2022
- Ashley Furniture: Grant-In-Aid Scholarship- Deadline March 1, 2022
- Ashley Furniture: Wanek Engineering & Design Scholarship - Deadline March 1, 2022
- Line Street Scholarship- Deadline March 1, 2022
- Create a Greeting Card Scholarship- Deadline March 2, 2022
- Doodle for Google Scholarship- Deadline March 5, 2022
- Sallie Mae- Bridging the Gap Scholarship- Deadline March 8, 2022
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarships- Multiple Scholarships on one site- Deadline March 8, 2022
- Northeast Foundation Scholarships-Deadline March 15, 2022
- Horatio Alger Association Scholarships-State and National Scholarships Opens December 1st and Closes March 15th
- KFC Reach- Employee Scholarship- Deadline March 26, 2022
- Mississippi Professional Educators Scholarship- March 26, 2022
- Blue Mountain College- General Scholarship Application- Deadline March 31, 2022
- Dr. Marshall E. Hollis Family Health Care Scholarship- Deadline March 31, 2022
- Dr. Marshall E. Hollis Family Scouting Scholarship- Deadline March 31, 2022
- Dr. Marshall E. Hollis Family 4-H Scholarship- Deadline March 31, 2022
- VFW Auxiliary Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest- Deadline March 31, 2022
- Go On Girl- Black Writer's Award- Deadline March 31, 2021
- NEMCC Scholarship Application- Deadline April 1st, 2022
- Allie Conner Gaddis Creative Writing Scholarship- Ripley High School Students- Deadline April 1, 2022
- Dixie Baseball- Bernie Varnadore Scholarship- Deadline April 1, 2022
- The Southeastern Theatre Conference Scholarship- Deadline April 1, 2022
- Anne Ford Scholarship- For students with Learning Disabilities and/or ADHD- Deadline April 5, 2022
- Tri-State Scholarship- Deadline April 15, 2022
- Create Foundation-Tippah County
- B. Davis Scholarship- Deadline May 22, 2022
- The Montesi Scholarship- Deadline May 30, 2022
- PB & J Scholarship- Deadline May 31, 2022
- MS Trucking Association Foundation Scholarship Deadline June 22, 2022
Most scholarships come directly from individual colleges and universities, these are considered institutional scholarships. Complete applications for admission in the fall of your senior year. You must be accepted for admission in order to receive scholarships and ﬁnancial aid. Sometimes the application for admission is used to award scholarships, however many colleges have additional applications.
There may be departmental scholarships or scholarships for specific programs such as Honors Colleges, or talent based scholarships requiring auditions or portfolios. Check out each college’s website and make sure you meet all the deadlines. All Mississippi Community Colleges and Universities are linked in my Canvas page for students.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in getting money for college. It is required for federal student aid. However, the FAFSA results may also be used for private scholarships, money that comes directly from the college or university and also for state financial aid, all with different deadlines.
Important Tip - Make sure you are using the correct website for the FAFSA. There are scam sites that request credit card information! The direct link is https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa
Need Help Completeing the FAFSA or State Aid Application??
Official Virtual FAFSA Day - October 28, 2021 From 8:30 am - 2:30 pm - NEMCC Financial Aid helps complete applications.
To schedule a slot call the school at (662) 837-7583 email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid offers scholarships and grants based on merit and ﬁnancial need to full-time (15 credit hours per semester) students attending eligible Mississippi colleges and universities. The application is available at https://www.msfinancialaid.org or you can link to the Mississippi application after completing the FAFSA and most of your info will be pre-filled.
Mississippi State Aid Application is for three specific financial aid opportunities, some of which are substantial! These are listed below in more detail.
MISSISSIPPI TUITION ASSISTANCE GRANT (MTAG)
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 15 (after graduation)
Covers up to $500/year for freshmen and sophomores and up to $1000/year for juniors and seniors. Initial eligibility for the student who:
- Has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 and a minimum of 15 on the national ACT or equivalent score on the national SAT
- Is not full Pell Grant eligible
MISSISSIPPI EMINENT SCHOLARS GRANT (MESG)
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 15 (after graduation)
Covers up to $2500/year, but may not exceed tuition and required fees at attending institution.
Initial eligibility for the student who:
- Achieves a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5.
- Scores a minimum of 29 on the national ACT or equivalent score on the national SAT or is a National Merit/National Achievement Finalist or Semi-Finalist.
HIGHER EDUCATION LEGISLATIVE PLAN (HELP)
DEADLINE: MARCH 31
Covers tuition and required fees for no more than 8 semesters at a public institution. Participants attending a private institution in Mississippi will receive an award amount equal to the award of a student attending the nearest comparable Mississippi public institution. Additional documents must be submitted by April 30. Initial eligibility for the student who:
- Is a freshman and/or sophomore who graduated from high school within the immediate past two years using the designated core curriculum and is a resident of Mississippi.
- Demonstrates need as determined by the results of the FAFSA
- Meets the income threshold to qualify as listed on the HELP website.
- Has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 and a minimum of 20 on the national ACT.